Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Landmark Day

Have you ever noticed now certain days or events hold special meaning? You can almost feel it in your bones. Today was one for me. My oldest daughter turned sixteen.

Last night, at midnight, she came out of her room, face shining brighter than the lights on the Christmas tree. Her excitement was tangible. She whispered to me, "I'm sixteen."

I had this sudden urge to tell her about her birth. She'd heard bits and pieces over the years but for some reason it seemed the appropriate thing to do. She sat down next to me at my bidding.

I think she just humored me. (grin) And that's okay, because I don't think it was for her benefit anyway. I think it was for mine. The memories came back in a rush, more clear and vivid than usual. I could even remember the feel of my lips on her tightly screwed face as I kissed my new little girl for the first time. My daughter laughed at my recounts of her birth and my stumblings into motherhood.

It was the beginning of a her special day of celebration and my introspective day of this journey called life.

So precious. I treasure not only the memories but also the new memory of this landmark day. And I'm sure plenty more are to come.

10 comments:

Jeff said...

Dineen- Nice post :) Our children grow up so fast, don't they?

Unknown said...

Aww D....got tears in my eyes as I read your post. And you KNOW how unusual that is for me. I don't do emotion. But something about the memories of our precious children's delivery into this world tugs at my heart pretty hard. There is NOTHING more emotional in this world. How truly blessed are we, the mothers of the world, to have been able to take part of something so ordained by God. Blessings to you and your girl...and special prayers going up for you, sweetie, because I know how it feels to look at the lovely young lady before you and have your arms literally ache to hold the baby she once was.

Ronie Kendig said...

What a beautiful post!! Wow. Sixteen. Amazing. Ciara's only twelve, but since she's already as tall as me, I'm aching NOW to hold the little girl she once was. LOL

Love you, girl!!

Heather Diane Tipton said...

Awwwww that's so sweet!

Dineen A. Miller said...

Thanks for stopping by, Jeff. They do grow up fast. How old are your kids?

Yeah, Robin, you totally get it. That last line you posted says it all, girl. Thank you!

Ronie, I'm right there with you!

Thanks, Heather!

Camy Tang said...

Aw, your little girl's all grown up!

Personally, I like them better when they're teens, but then again, you already know I'm strange that way. :)

Camy

Unknown said...

16 wow. My mother tells me about my birth every ding-dong year. Don't start doing that. Once or twice in a lifetime is sufficient.
Happy birthday to her!

Lynetta said...

Beautiful post, Dineen. What a sweet way to start commemorating such a momentous day.

Blessings on you and your family. I hope you have a very Merry Christmas!

Jeff said...

Dineen- Mine are 23, 20, and 14.

Merry Christmas :)

Pammer said...

Awwww. It's so hard to watch them grow up. Hugs going to you and prayers going up. Keep me in mind cause my oldest will be seventeen next month. Almost a man. Waaaaaaa!

Great post, btw.