Sunday, December 09, 2007

Second Sunday of Advent

Welcome to the second Sunday of Advent.

Advent means "coming" or "arrival." So appropriate. And I just love the way each candle counts down the time to our Saviour's birthday. Both my girls were born in December, so it's a very special (and extremely busy) month. This tradition and an Advent Christmas tree quilt I created have helped my girls and I count down the days each December.

I've heard and read several interpretations of the wreath. Here are few of my favorite aspects:

  • The green of the wreath represents the eternal life we have in Christ.
  • The circular form of the wreath represents the unending love of God.
  • The purple of the outer candles represents the royalty of royalty.
  • The white of the center candle represents Christ's purity. (This candle is optional, by the way, but my favorite.)
  • The flames represent the light of God coming into the world through his Son.

Second Sunday of Advent
Color: Purple
Theme: Love
Suggested Scripture Readings: 1John 4:7-19, John 3:16-17

Father, you sent us the greatest gift and representation of your eternal love when you sent your Son as a tiny baby for the sole purpose of his sacrificial death. Help us to be shining examples of your love in a hurting world. And let us never forget this sacrifice and the amazing depth of your love. We love you so much. In Christ's Holy Name, Amen!

2 comments:

Heather Diane Tipton said...

This is too cool. I love your quilt too

Unknown said...

This is really neat. Was this photo taken at your house.

Beautiful!

http://unequalmarriage.typepad.com/