Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Crossing Oceans by Gina Holmes

I must say this is an amazing book. It's been a long time since I've read something in women's fiction that's kept me this riveted. Jenny's story is poignant to say the least and a very believable one at that. It's a story about forgiveness and sacrificial love told in a way I never expected could be so beautiful.

Gina Holmes is an excellent writer and tells the story in first person from the main character's perspective for the entire book. Yet you still get a clear picture of the other characters through Jenny's eyes.

 Jenny's journey home is a difficult one as are the circumstance that force this direction. I love how Holmes takes this character through the paces of facing her own demons as well as difficult choices between what she wants and what she knows her daughter needs. The final one is the most difficult and though you know it's the right one, a part of me wanted to see Jenny have what she wanted for once.

Definitely a story that will stay with you and one that will make you think about your own choices and how they affect those you love.

*Review copy provided by Tyndale Publishers

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love Gina. Love her book. :) Great review.

Unknown said...

Lovely review Dineen. Thank you! I wanted that for Jenny too. It was all I could do to not give it to her and then I kept thinking of Jesus and what He deserved vs what He gave. Oh to be like that. Jenny is my hero. Not sure I have that in me.

Thanks again for this. I'm going to share it on NJ tomorrow if that's okay. I'll assume it is. ha. Love you!