Saturday, February 11, 2006

2006 Winter Olympics Begin



For the first time in years I actually got to sit and watch the entire opening ceremony. What fun to root for team USA. My family and I also rooted for Switzerland since it was out home for several years. And finally, how encouraging to see North and South Korea represented together. I believe these athletes are sending a clear message to their countries. Let's hope and pray someone listens.

A few of the athletes really caught my eye. Bode Miller (no relation) seems to be somewhat of a rebel without a cause. Although I get the distinct impression he's finding one, as well as himself. He's a strong skier—one of the best. Can't wait to see how he holds up.

Michelle Kwan is back, despite her injury. She seems like such an amazing young woman. I love watching the ice skaters. This year looks to be as challenging as years past. The talent is amazing.

My daughter and I got a big kick out of Shawn White, the Flying Tomato. This nineteen year old snowboarder flys like an eagle and has red hair. Hence the name. I think he's one we'll be watching for a lot. His fresh talent is amazing.

The Olympics have alwasy been a special time in my family. Seeing these driven athletes go after their dreams is incredibly inspiring. To hear their life stories and the obstacles they have to overcome just enhances their victories, no matter what form they come.

May God bless each and every one of them, no matter what country they come from. And may we pursure our own dreams with equal passion.

(picture courtesy of NBC)

4 comments:

Ronie Kendig said...

Way kewl! We didn't get to watch it last night, but our family loves the winter olympics, too!

Unknown said...

I'm not big into the olympics...never have been. But I relate to the atheletes. Just as they learn, hone their sport, and strive for the gold, we as writers learn, hone our skills, and strive for publication. So, I root for the atheletes, but not just for USA, I root for them all and while I celebrate those who win the golds, I also commiserate with those who don't. Because they, my friends, have gotten the worse stinking rejection letter ever!

Corina Bowen said...

I forgot all about it being on!! I have read two blogs about it.... and now am gonna have to check it out!!
Got to be better than football!!

Paula said...

Wow. That's a tall order--to pursue our dreams with as much passion as the Olympians.

BTW, did I ever tell you that your blog picture is really cute!?