Friday, September 15, 2006

This, That and a Ritual

The Baileys are blogging today over at Scenes and Beans. Hop on over and take a look. Bailey's already talking about Christmas.

Christian Fiction Blog Alliance has a review posted of Squat by Taylor Field.

Fall is on the way—and I am lovin' it. I sit at my desk with the glass sliding door open next to me, feeling the cool breeze blow in. I have to wear slippers to keep my toes warm. It's glorious. Almost time to break out the fall table cloth in its rich hues of orange, burnt sienna, and brick red. In the center I place striped candles in a similar color scheme and a stuffed velvet pumpkin.

On the door I hang the fall wreath—a circle of delicate glass-like leaves in the full array of fall colors. The windows stay open, the down comforter goes back into the duvet for those chilly nights, and my favorite afgan will soon be back on the couch. My fireplace waits patiently for the first blazing fire soon to come.

It's all about promise and hope—of things to come. This is my ritual to welcome fall, this glorious time of year God created to herald a more precious coming. Christmas, the birth of our Saviour.

What's your favorite ritual and what are you waiting for?

9 comments:

Heather said...

Mmm. I love fall. 'Squisito! Unfortunately, I now live in a fall-less world.

Anonymous said...

WOW! I love this post. I anxiously await this time of year. I planted rusty colored mums in my front yeard and place tiny scare crows among them. It was September 1st. I enjoy everything about fall leading up to Christmas.

Thank you for sharing with me. It made my day. No wonder we are such kindred souls. Be blessed, Lynn

Ronie Kendig said...

**SLIPPERS***???? Are you kidding? Well, make sure to leave those OUT of your suitcase for conference. LOL You're going to get quite the shock here. :-D We like to warm hearts and just about everything else down here. :-D

Heather Diane Tipton said...

LOL I had the same reaction as Ronie on the slippers bit.

Great post Neenie.

What's my favorite ritual and what am I waiting for? Um, does conference count?? Can't wait to see you!!

Anonymous said...

Funny, on my blog I announced it is the first day of Michigan fall. It's rather abrubt, so it leaves (pun intended) littel doubt. It is the most glorious time of year for me. My favorite thing to do is light the Yankee candles on our mantle, put on Natalie Coles' "Unforgettable" CD, make hot cocoa (lots of marshmallows), and sit in my chair with a blanket over my lap and a book in my hand. It just don't get no better than that.

Kaye Dacus said...

Fall is my favorite season. On a temporal level, it's because it's football season. But more importantly, fall is a time of renewal of my soul. I detest hot weather. I hibernate in the air-conditioned cave that is my house--all the curtains and blinds drawn against the blaring sun--hoping the "desert of my discontent" will soon come to an end. And it does! Just like God's grace, Autumn always comes, bringing with it relief, comfort, and beauty.

And if I weren't headed for 90-degree Dallas this weekend, I would probably be driving east to the Great Smokeys to revel in the fabulous display of fall colors.

Unknown said...

For me, it's the promise of winter coming! I LOVE winter. Love snow and fires and the "crispness" winter shows me!

Heather Diane Tipton said...

how come it doesn't surprise me that Robin loves winter...

Jenny B. Jones said...

Hey, Dineen! I LOVE fall. I love the crisp wind, the smell of bonfires(or people illegally burning trash, whatever), and the leaves changing in the Ozark mountains. As a teacher, it's also a sign that in a few months there might be SNOW DAYS ahead!!! Woo-hoo!!
Hope you enjoyed ACFW!
Jennifer