Saturday, April 28, 2007

Did LOST Jump the Shark?

If you're not a LOST watcher, this post won't mean a whole lot to you. If you haven't watched the last episode yet, then consider this a spoiler alert.

If you were watching LOST last Wednesday, were you as surprised as I was to see the Russian dude walk on scene? I mean, come on, he died a few episodes ago. But there he is, residual blood around his ears and on his shirt, smiling that sneer and still wearing his eye patch.

I did what any reasonable viewer would do. I waited for an explanation. I waited for a reaction. I got neither. Oh, the ones there (Hurley, Charlie, Jin, and Sayid) seemed a little surprised but only because they knew he was an Other. Then, finally, one of them casually asks, "Aren't you supposed to be dead?"

Russian dude gives a smirky smile and spews out some explanation about the "mysterious" powers of the island. Okay, then it gets better (aka more unbelievable in this usage). He helps the Italian woman who fell out of the sky (don't even ask) and says she'll be fine. By tomorrow she'll be great. The frantic four question Russian dude again, and he makes some statement, again alluding to the power of the island, that wounds behave differently there.

Well, okay, then what about Boon? Why did he die? What about Shannon? What about all those dead bodies (including the two buried alive—again, don't ask)? Will they all come back and change the show name to "Island of the Walking Formerly Dead"?

I gotta say, LOST is about to lose this viewer. I know the premise of the show is about the impossible, or seemingly impossible. That's part of what I love about this series. They push the boundaries of reality to a whole different level. But last week, they made a liar of themselves. The inconsistency blew believability right out of their deep blue ocean water.

Next week? Yeah, I'll watch but with a probationary eye. I'll be looking for sharks. ;-)

3 comments:

Heather Diane Tipton said...

I think they jumped the shark long ago, which is why I stopped watching it. sh

Heather Diane Tipton said...

ok... I have no memory of typing "sh" in that last post. how sad is that?

Heather said...

I know! I'm not ready to give up yet, but I'm annoyed. And even more than all this, I'm annoyed by the soap opera-y stuff they do every week cuz they don't have enough story anymore. Enough with the backstory! (Let that be a lesson to me: not everyone needs to know everything about every character.)