Sunday, July 16, 2006

A New Chapter

Ever feel like you're entering a new chapter in your life? I've been feeling a lot of those lately. They seem to mostly center around my kids. The first hit when my youngest (12) daughter stood next to my older (16) one. My mouth dropped in wonder. I'd been waiting for this day, knew it would happen, but to actually see the younger one had passed her older sister in height just about did me in. The inevitable had snuck up on me, and there it was.

The most recent has been watching my older daughter get into the car BY HERSELF and drive off. This just gives new terror to life. Now I have a whole new appreciation for my parents. I can truly relate to the unsettled and staggering feeling of watching your child take control of a very large machine. Prayers were sent up heavily and will continue, as you can imagine.

I told my husband I'd swear the oldest was just born a few years ago and the younger just a few months past. I look at them and see young ladies already. Especially the 16 year old. Soon she'll be out on her own, making her own decisions. Egads, someone knock me out and wake me when she's worked out all the crap of the twenties. LOL!

I don't know if I've done everthing right. In fact, I know I haven't. I'm so glad God is catching the slack and fixing what I screw up. Here's a little blurb I did for my church newsletter. Hope this speaks to you.

Winston Churchill once said, “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” I think God sees our faith the same way. Belief isn’t final—we must continually practice it. Doubt isn’t fatal, but it does require honesty and sometimes a swift kick in the rear. What matters is that we continue on, knowing that despite our shortcomings, God makes up for what we lack. And He is the king of second chances.
So, what chapter of life are you in?

10 comments:

Ronie Kendig said...

WOW!! Rachel's driving off now, huh?? Jeepers! And Leslie--tee-hee...she's tall just like Ciara.

And you've done a beautiful job raising those girls, Neen! Keep it up, surrender them to God, and one day they will rise up and call you BLESSED!

Love you, girlie!!

Heather Diane Tipton said...

what chapter of life am I in... apparently the crap in my twenties... oh yeah and I'm lazy too

you've done a great job with your girls, I'm always impressed with them.

Domino said...

Hey Dineen,

My fourth grade daughter and I can wear the same shoes. I think she'll be passing my height before I know it.

Kids! Gotta love 'em.

Tracey Bateman said...

Dineen
I completely sympathize with the kid in the car scenario. My husband and I have been going through the same heartache/joy this summer with our sixteen year old daughter. This is a season where God is teaching me to let go and trust Him. whew. It's tough. Let's pray for each other. :)

Unknown said...

Kelly started beating me up about THE TALK we need to have with our son soon. I'm sure I'll screw this up. It's like you said, though, we can't get it perfect. It's a good thing God doesn't expect us to.

Dineen A. Miller said...

Thanks Ronie! I sure hope so. I love that thought, to be called BLESSED!

Thanks Heather! That means the world to me. I so want you to meet them--soon please!

Wow, Domino! That must be amazing. Sounds like she's on the verge of a major growth spurt. Very cool...

Thank you for dropping by, Tracey! Glad to have you. You bet I'll be praying for you. Thank you!

Have fun with that talk, Ron. I don't envy you, buddy. But I think you'll do a great job. :-)

Unknown said...

I definitely think we're on the verge of a major transition. It's a little scary, trusting God to work out all the details. Life is always an adventure. :)

But I'm glad I don't have the particular adventure of a driving child. Eight more years to prepare!

Unknown said...

Dineen,

This is just a wonderful post. You are a delightful writer. I laughed and cried at the same time. Be blessed. Lynn Donovan

Heather Diane Tipton said...

methinks you need to blog again...

kc bob said...

I think that the best thing that we can give to teenagers is a deep sense of belief in them. They need this the most when they fall so that they will get up quickly, they need it when the way gets hard so that they will persevere and they need it when the way is dark so that they will seek the Light. Our belief in them is something precious ... it helps them believe in themselves and ultimately it helps them believe in a loving God.