Advent means "coming" or "arrival." So appropriate. And I just love the way each candle counts down the time to our Saviour's birthday. Both my girls were born in December, so it's a very special (and extremely busy) month. This tradition and an Advent Christmas tree quilt I created have helped my girls and I count down the days each December.
I've heard and read several interpretations of the wreath. Here are few of my favorite aspects:
- The green of the wreath represents the eternal life we have in Christ.
- The circular form of the wreath represents the unending love of God.
- The purple of the outer candles represents the royalty of royalty.
- The white of the center candle represents Christ's purity. (This candle is optional, by the way, but my favorite.)
- The flames represent the light of God coming into the world through his Son.
Second Sunday of Advent
Suggested Scripture Readings: 1John 4:7-19, John 3:16-17
Father, you sent us the greatest gift and representation of your eternal love when you sent your Son as a tiny baby for the sole purpose of his sacrificial death. Help us to be shining examples of your love in a hurting world. And let us never forget this sacrifice and the amazing depth of your love. We love you so much. In Christ's Holy Name, Amen!