Sunday, December 02, 2007

First Sunday of Advent

I love this tradition. In my churches in Memphis and Zürich, we always had an advent wreath. I loved the lighting of the candles so much, that I adopted the tradition as my own. Each year, around Thanksgiving, I find the candles for our wreath.

Traditionally, the Advent wreath has five candles. Four purple or blue candles (sometimes the third or fourth candle is pink) and one white center candle. It's always a challenge to find the perfect center candle for the Christ candle. Our Lord and Savior deserves only the best.

Here's a picture of this year's Advent wreath. Each Sunday I'll post another picture of our wreath along with the meaning of each candle.

I hope you'll join my family and me in this wonderful tradition that exemplifies Jesus as the reason for the season.

First Sunday of Advent
Color: Purple
Theme: Hope
Suggested Scripture Readings: Isaiah 60:2-3, Romans 15:13, Titus 1:2, Hebrews 6:19

Precious Lord, we thank You for sending your son Jesus to be a light in a world of darkness, a light that never goes out or burns away. Teach us to place our hope in You and to share it with those struggling in hopeless situations. In Christ's Name, Amen.

2 comments:

Heather Diane Tipton said...

Purple... hope... hmmm

Unknown said...

We've been doing an Advent wreath too. I love it. I love the tradition and meaning of it, especially when it's so easy to get caught up in the materialism and lose the meaning of Christmas.

I love your wreath!