Wednesday, August 25, 2010

My New Attitude Increased My Gas Mileage

And yours can too! Okay, you know you wanted to add that on. Sounds like a cheap ad, but there's a truth to it.

If you're a taxi-mom, a commuter, a delivery person, or whatever keeps you in traffic, you know the frustration of getting from point A to point B in the least amount of time. However, did you know this "anxious" attitude does more than just spike your blood pressure?

I've discovered something very interesting of late. In the past, I've been disappointed with my cars not reaching their full potential. What does that mean?

It means they never seem to meet the estimated gas mileage. And if you live in California like I do, it's even more frustrating because of the stricter pollution regulations (which btw, I appreciated and have no desire to interfere there).

I guess you could say I had a revelation. One day I noticed I had become a really frustrated driver. Every time I went out, my irritability came out full force. What's even worse is I noticed it was rubbing off on my daughter. She started venting at other drivers as well.

Not good. From that point on I made a concerted effort to leave with plenty of time, to drive as if I had that extra time, which I did, and enjoy the ride.

Took a little time, but I noticed my irritability went away, we always seem to be on time now, and the amazing part?

My gas mileage went up. I have this little gauge on my car that tells me how I'm doing, and I'm actually getting the estimated gas mileage. Amazing how a new attitude can overlap unexpected areas.

So, I'm back on the road, relaxed and saving gas. How's the road treating you? Maybe I'll see around...

1 comment:

Margaret Metz said...

Great post! Attitude is so important and can help or hinder us in many areas of our lives. Thanks so much for sharing. :o)