Sunday, November 20, 2005

Dreaming Evangelism

I drive my car into the bar as if it were the most normal thing to do. I get out of my car and look around. My car vanishes. To my right two people sit in a booth, casually talking. One glances at me, then returns to his animated conversation with the person sitting across from him.

In front of me sits an older woman at a small table, alone.

To my left the bartender is wiping down the counter with a white rag. He finally notices me and says, “You’re supposed to tell something to that lady over there.”

I glance at her. Her head hangs over a bare table. “But I don’t know her.”

He shrugs and walks away.

I look down and notice I’m wearing a nametag, except it’s upside down. I realize it’s not my name but these words on it:

Are you ready to get serious about Jesus?

This is the tail end of a dream I had several years ago. I’ve never forgotten it for obvious reasons. Lately it’s been on my mind again.

Originally, God used this dream to convict me. The evening before I had driven through a blizzard to get to a Christmas party with my Bible study group. Needless to say, when I got there, I was relieved to be alive and ready to relax. I said a brief hello to one of the member’s husbands, who I knew wasn’t a believer, then spent the rest of the evening entertaining myself.

That night I had this dream, but I didn’t put two and two together until the next morning. I knew the dream had meaning, but I didn’t know what. In my prayer time, God convicted me of my oversight.

Later that same morning, the unequally yoked group that I was part of had a date to meet. It was at the house of the woman whose husband I had neglected. I knew I would have to ask her for forgiveness. As soon as I arrived at her doorstep, I did. She then told me how her husband had wanted to leave early the night before because he didn’t feel welcome.

I was convicted again. A room full of Christians and the poor guy never felt welcome. Now you see why I’ve never forgotten that dream.

How does this apply to writing? It makes me ask these questions. Do our words reach the downtrodden person sitting alone? Do they reach the Christian, who’s ready to quit doing thing’s Jesus’ way because it’s just too hard? Do we offer a light in a hopeless world? I think we do, and will continue to as long as God is the one at the keyboard as well.

Something’s moving and changing lately. I’m not sure what it is, but I can feel it. The dream has been more prevalent lately, more readily remembered than usual. I know God’s at work, I just don’t know what he’s doing yet.

But I do know one thing. I’m ready to get serious about Jesus. How about you?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

So very cool Neenie girl! Very cool indeed!

Unknown said...

Insightful and inspiring. We should all get ready to share Jesus!

Unknown said...

It really isn't enough to say that writing is our ministry, is it? I'm a bit of a coward when it comes to sharing the gospel. Every day I work with hundreds of unsaved people and rarely do I talk about my faith. Let's pray for boldness!

Dineen A. Miller said...

Ron, our writing can be our ministry, but that doesn't exclude us from sharing our faith. It's a mentality, a total focus on God's plan for us each and every day. I'm not brave about sharing the gospel either, and the enemy does a good job taking our confidence away. All we really have to share is what we know. The lost don't want facts, they want to know how we've been changed and ministered to. Reflect God's love, by actions and words, plain and simple.

Unknown said...

Great advice, as ususal, D!

Camy Tang said...

Wow, Dineen, that's way cool and very intense.
Camy

Anonymous said...

BEAUTIFUL as always, Neen! My pastor said something to me Monday when I went in to take my tests. He commented that hurting people don't want to hear that we went through the same thing (circumstances)...but when you tell how you felt and how much you hurt, then they start listening. And I realized, He's right. Hurt to hurt, heart to heart. That's how we minister, and that can definitely come through in our writing.

I love you girl!! You're an inspiration as always!!!