Monday, April 12, 2010

Catching Up...

I'm playing catch up this week so I apologize for the lack of posts here. I'd like to share a couple of articles I wrote over at Spiritually Unequal Marriage. I pray they bless you as you read. I love these details that God so graciously shares with me from time to time.


Peter Looked Away
One of the most famous stories we have of Peter is when he walked on water. I think I’ve read more commentaries and devotionals on the story than I can remember.

Well, bear with me as I add another one to the list, because a nuance of this story hit me afresh recently. Like I’ve said in the past, God brings multiple layers to everything in the Bible and symbolism is his strength. In fact, I think the Bible should be given credit for setting the precedent on symbolism.

Anyway, onward with Peter. If you’ve read the story, then you’re familiar with how Peter boldly (did he do things any other way?) stepped out of the boat when Jesus told him to come to Him. I might add as well, that Peter is the one who asked to go to Jesus first. Gotta love this guy’s moxy... Read the rest at S.U.M. 


Foundations
"Why do you call me, 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do what I say? I will show you what he is like who comes to me and hears my words and puts them into practice. He is like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the torrent struck that house but could not shake it, because it was well built. But the one who hears my words and does not put them into practice is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. The moment the torrent struck that house, it collapsed and its destruction was complete." Luke 6:46-49

This parable about building on a firm foundation has always fascinated me. Again, I really love God’s symbolism, and Jesus truly knew how to use it. In this parable we can see the obvious that when we build our lives on the foundation of God’s Word, on Christ who is truth, we are unshakable in our faith through the storms of life.

But I’m seeing a new part to this Scripture. If you look at verse 48, specifically the part about the man “building a house, who dug down deep,” the words take on some figurative meanings as well as literal in the Greek translation.

The Greek word used here for building is oikodomeo, which means to build, but also comes from the root word meaning to edify or for edification. Interesting to think about, especially if we consider edification in terms of teaching and improving. This reflects the process of how we learn more about God and grow as we build our foundation upon Christ.
But even more exciting is the “dug down deep” part...  Read the rest at S.U.M. 


And Finally...
This past weekend I did my first radio interview for our book, Winning Him Without Words. Talk about being nervous! I'm so appreciate a great interviewer like Jim Norman and his program Wise People. I hope you get a chance to listen!

Wise People Interview, Dineen Miller

No comments: